Windows 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Swagr01, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Swagr01

Swagr01 Raider

Achievements:
    I apologize if there is a Windows 10 thread hidden somewhere else, but I did quick search and it didn't come up with much.

Not a lot of tech guys in my new career field to bounce things off of, so I've come to the Cactar for answers. I still have Windows 7 and have absolutely no complaints about it. I run happy go lucky with very little virus/malware protection and have had no problems since Peon helped me build this computer over 4 years ago. -I do not play any games on it now
    - use only for
    -Rosetta Stone
    -internet browsing
    - torrents
    - Microsoft Office

Should I take advantage of this free upgrade? I just feel like I will be kicking myself if you don't do this now when its free.

2. Unholysin

Unholysin Guild Social

Achievements:
    Fixed for you Swagr.

3. earthwormjim

earthwormjim Not GM

Achievements:
    You've got a year to upgrade, just wait a little while. There's some issues with the start menu having a cap on how many items it can keep track of. There's a few other small bugs that will be resolved too.

Omniwrath likes this.
  4. Tinderhoof

Tinderhoof Guild Social

Achievements:
    That was changed about 24 hours after the review went live.

5. Tinderhoof

Tinderhoof Guild Social

Achievements:
    In general there is no rush to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 unless:
    1. You have your OS on an SSD or want to get an SSD. 7 is horribly optimized for SSD. The performance leap will be noticable even on older hardware.
    2. You want to play any newer games.
    3. You have an Xbox One you play with.
    It is a really good OS, and if you arn't buying a lot of store apps, and didn't upgrade but did a clean install you will not see any bad issues.

6. earthwormjim

earthwormjim Not GM

Achievements:
    Good to know.

7. Tinderhoof

Tinderhoof Guild Social

Achievements:
    The cap was 499 items in the start menu. Not even sure how it was possible to test with out a lot of copy paste. It's now 5000.

8. earthwormjim

earthwormjim Not GM

Achievements:
    Not that hard to imagine, lots of programs include an uninstall executable, a config executable, a readme file all directed to go to the start menu.

9. Tinderhoof

Tinderhoof Guild Social

Achievements:
    You would have to have installed 100 programes with 5 files each to hit the 499 limit. Most don't have more than 2. Some like office have some more. Still was there a time you EVER had 100 seperate programes installed on your computer at once?

10. Chia

Chia Raider

Achievements:
    I have also been toying with the idea of upgrading to 10 while it's free. I'm currently using Windows 8 loaded on an SSD. Any thoughts?

11. earthwormjim

earthwormjim Not GM

Achievements:
    It was items, not just programs, so shortcuts to online help and other crap, uninstallers. Office alone is like 20+ entries. Not to mention all the stuff that comes with Windows too.

The main issue, is a lot of people upgrading to Windows 10. So we're talking old installations of Windows, where people have had half a decade to accumulate programs.