Titanic @ 100 (101...102...103), A LWlol.com Special

Discussion in 'News' started by rent, Dec 19, 2012.

1. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    RMS Titanic symbolized the Edwardian era in its entirety; Class based society, technological progress matched with hubris, and palatial opulence. And, like the Titanic, monarchical Europe was to disappear forever a few years later during World War One.

This LWLol.com special feature will be updated daily with a new image as well as listing here any significant events as it retraces the voyage of the great ship.

Titanic1.png

100 years ago today:

April 10th, 1912
    @ circa 12:00-12:15pm - Titanic departs from Southampton on her maiden voyage to New York.

@ circa 7:30pm - Titanic arrives at her first port of call, Cherbourg, France.

Titanic2.png

April 11th, 1912
    @ circa 12:30pm: Titanic arrives at Queenstown. 113 Third and 7 Second class board the ship.

@ circa 1:30pm: Titanic leaves Queenstown carrying about 2,223 passengers. Titanic is considerably under capacity as she could carry a grand total of 3,547 passengers and crew when fully booked.

Titanic3.png

April 12th, 1912

This day of the voyage is rather uneventful. The more of Titanic's boilers are lit as she speeds up (By April 14th, she is traveling around 21-22 knots).

Titanic4.png

April 13th, 1912

@ Evening: Titanic's Marconi Telegraph - the most powerful afloat - breaks down. Titanic is unable to communicate with the outside world.

April 14th, 1912

@ Morning: Titanic's wireless apparatus is fixed.

@ 11:20pm: Titanic sideswipes an iceberg and begins to sink.

Titanic5.png

Titanic6.png

Titanic7.png

Titanic8.png

April 15th, 1912

@2:20am: Titanic founders. She takes 1,517 people to their graves.

Titanic9.png

---

Special thanks to Anton Logvynenko of www.Titanic-In-Color.com
    Special thanks to National Geographic and James Cameron

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    Today I'm happy to announce the two new LWlol achievements to ensure you remember the binary (101) anniversary of the voyage of the world's most famous ocean liner.

On April 10th - 15th, just by logging into LWlol.com, you will receive the achievement:

The Maiden Voyage Begins...

Logged in during the Binary Anniversary (101) of the maiden voyage of pride of Belfast, RMS Titanic

If you log in on April 14th-15th, you will also receive the achievement:

The Unsinkable Ship

Visited LWlol.com on April 14th or 15th, during the binary (101) anniversary. It was on these days that RMS Titanic struck an iceberg and sank

These are one time achievements for 2013's anniversary. I know you will enjoy this event.

3. Donna

Donna Raider

Achievements:
    SO EXCITED FOR TITANIC TIME RENT!!

4. Malicus

Malicus Junior Member

Achievements:
    its just a movie - didn't even get a sequel whats the point?

5. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    They made a Titanic II movie, this time the wave smashed the iceberg into the ship

But I like this remake the most:

6. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    RMS_Titanic_at_Cherbourg.jpg

As the flagship of the fleet, Titanic was an especially impressive sight at night time. There are three known pictures taken of the ship at night. The accuracy of these pictures, however, are called into question because of her main mast light configuration (two oil lamps hung on the main mast is against maritime law at the time. Only one oil lamp may be hung on the main mast, and it must be 15 feet higher than the lamp on the foremast).

The foremast light needed to be electric powered.

Since ship-wide electricity was cutting edge tech at the time and not reliable, ships were required to keep oil lamps readied at all times in case power failed.

Finally smoke is exiting the dummy 4th funnel, so its hard to say how authentic the picture is.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  7. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    rms_titanic_leaving_cherbourg.jpg
    675px-Ship's_hull_shape_en.png

Did you know?
    Titanic leaves land behind for good today. Why is the profile of Titanic and ships pre 1950s so superior to any ship built today?

One of the secrets to good looks is something called a "sheer". The sheer was developed hundreds of years ago to make the up and down motion of a sail boat less pronouced.
    As boat and ship design evolved, the sheer was carried on. Titanic of course was no exception, and had a sheer too. On a ship the size and height of Titanic, the benefits of a sheer was not as mandatory as it was on smaller ships or boats. The sheer was partly included as homage to the age of sail.

Nevertheless, Titanic's sheer afforded it a graceful profile and clean lines that complemented the natural environment. Simply, it is one of the reasons Titanic is so pleasent to look at.

Unfortunately, constructing a ship with a sheer increases its complexity and thus cost by a large margin. So all modern ships are built without a sheer. The effects are noticable too, the ship's decks run perpendicular to the waterline. Most modern ships are unable to capture the charming good looks of previous ocean liners. I think this is why there is such a lack of interest in ships in our era.

April 12th, 1912
    This day of the voyage is rather uneventful. The more of Titanic's boilers are lit as she speeds up (By April 14th, she is traveling around 21-22 knots).

8. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    Did you know?
    Everything on ships of this period was powered by steam. The way we generate steam has changed throughout the 20th century, but during Titanic's era, steam was generated by burning coal. Coal fueled the fires that boiled the water into high pressured steam that was then circulated throughout the ship.

Most of the steam was funneled into the powerful, but economical engines of Titanic. Titanic was powered by two triple expansion reciprocating engines and one low pressure turbine. So in english, steam would first enter the twin reciprocating engines. The super hot steam is expanded three times, pushing the pistons back and forth (hence the name triple expansion). The pistons where directly connected to the propeller shafts of the two side propellers. In the event of a turning operation or docking, these two side propellers could be reversed.

After the steam exited the triple expansion engines, it was fed directly into the low pressure turbine. The turbine had many little blades that turned as steam passed through. The low pressure turbine was connected directly to the central propeller shaft. Unlike its brethren, the turbine could not be reversed, so the central propeller simply stopped spinning in a turning procedure. After exiting the low pressure turbine, the steam was changed back into fresh water in the condensers and piped back to the boilers to repeat the process.

Triple-Screw-640x499.jpg

9. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    Tonight at 11:40pm ship time (8:07pm PST), Titanic encounters and strikes an iceberg opening around 1/3 of the ship's length to the ocean.

The LWlol.com achievement, The Unsinkable Ship will unlock tonight. Anyone who logs in will receive it. Once April 15th passes, it will become a "feat of strength". The points it gives could become useful in the future.

Did you know?

With all the hoopla surrounding Titanic's turning capabilities, instead I will focus on how the ship turned.

Maintaining control of the rudder was critical, and there were many backups to ensure that the massive rudder of the ship would remain so. This was important, if you've heard of Hiter's super battleship, the Bismarck, the loss of control of that ship's rudder meant she met her demised sooner than expected, on her maiden voyage too.

Titanic was equipped with 3 mechanisms to turn the rudder. The first two were twin "mini reciprocating" engines similar to the ones that turned the propellers of the ship. These sat underneath the poopdeck on the stern. Only one would be in use at a time, with the other as a backup. To prevent damage from vibration, the "mini reciprocating" engines were disconnected from the rudder gear when not in use.

If in the case these twin engines failed, the last resort was man power. Since the rudder was about 101 tons, that would have required significant effort to turn it manually.

SteeringGear.jpg

10. Checksmix

Checksmix Junior Member

Achievements:
    I don't understand why this is so important... this was just a ship that sank and killed a lot of people >.> do we have a front page thing for the Hindenburg?

11. Canibehealz

Canibehealz Founder

Achievements:
    This is Rents abuse of power as Web Master. And people thought I was abusing officer power by muting Pyru when he holds down his button for 30 seconds because hes high. heheheheh <3

4 people like this.
  12. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:

Don't tempt me, I do like Hindenberg and Lusitania too. We could also remember the capsizing of the SS Normandie (this ship was the inspiration for LWlol)

13. Checksmix

Checksmix Junior Member

Achievements:
    It's just so literally 100 years ago. I mean this is a raiding guild... it's like Miley Cyrus's new haircut... i just don't understand :(

14. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    The answer to that question is simple, its something different and unexpected and unique. Its out of left field. I think once its over and some time passes, you'll come to appreciate it too.

LWlol is a decently active site for the community it serves, it can improve, but I think we're all very lucky to have each other and such personalities. No one wants to be in generic raid guild #342352

15. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    Today at 2:20am, the great ship slips beneath the waves

The LWlol.com feats of strength, The Unsinkable Ship and The Maiden Voyage Begins... will be deactivated tonight around midnight. They will never be obtainable after they are deactivated.

Did you know? Titanic is one the few ships to not capsize while sinking

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  16. Omniwrath

Omniwrath Guild Social

Achievements:
    Rent's fascination with the Titanic is mostly harmless. Last year when he overran the home page with stuff about the Titanic, I agree that he went a little too far. Maybe he agrees, or maybe he has other reasons, but he did not do that this year. With all that Rent has done and continues to do for the guild, website, recruitment, etc. I feel that "suffering" through his obsession one week a year is hardly a big deal.

I will say this though Rent. Among our age group, if you think there are many people that have interest in the Titanic, you may be mistaken. I say this based on the absence of front page posts relating to the Titanic on websites like Reddit. Without Rent, none of us would even have thought about the Titanic at all this week. Come to think of it, that would be kind of sad. While the Titanic is not particularly important to me, I would suggest that it's worth remembering.

Edit: The feedback here is still incredibly valuable though. Annoying popups and any feature that lessens the quality of life for forum visitors is something I know Rent to care deeply about. People complaining would probably be best served by focusing on why this year's presentation is annoying, rather than complaining about the fact that the Titanic is being remembered. If we're all lucky enough to have Rent still managing the website next year, then I'm sure he'll find more creative and less intrusive ways to celebrate the Titanic.

TLDR: You guys mostly don't know me, and probably don't care. Thanks for enduring me on the forums. <3

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  17. Checksmix

Checksmix Junior Member

Achievements:
    Sorry but i have to ask. Who are you? i see you on the forums and i just don't know who you are >.>

EDIT: Now that i actually read your post half way through. I love the titanic! Was one of the first movies (that i will admit) to make me cry :}

18. rent

rent Web Master

Achievements:
    Omni is indirectly the reason why I'm in this guild today, otherwise I wouldn't have thought of transferring to this server in the first place! I think if I went the Exodus route I would of quit sooner from burn out and this website in a different form just wouldn't exist

As for Titanic, since this year is the binary anniversary I decided to do a more technical look at ocean liners of the period, whereas last year it was more grand took and took up the frontpage for the duration of the voyage

19. Omniwrath

Omniwrath Guild Social

Achievements:
    Hi Checksmix, as Rent said I joined Lemmings (which turned into Vitality, which merged with Little Rascals and turned into Last Word [I think that's how it went down]) ages ago and then convinced Rent to follow me over here when his guild fell apart.

I think I still have a character in the guild, Omni something, but I don't really play WoW anymore. Every once in awhile I pop in long enough to see the new raid content. I just happen to enjoy these forums because they are active and well made and I know a lot of the people that frequent here, even if they don't post as much anymore.

20. Checksmix

Checksmix Junior Member

Achievements:
    ooooooh. For some reason i believed you to just be some random person from the server that stalked our forums instead of stalking people. That makes a whole lot more sense :)