The Website Image Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by rent, Nov 26, 2011.

1. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    ---

5.0: Mists of Pandaria

This one was one of the longer teases for the Project 005 team. I had the website quote for patch 5.0 picked out months ago - back in July. But there was no image to accompany it until a week ago. In the months leading up to last week, I was busy finding a location. I wanted it to be different.

Originally, the plan was to make this cinematic image mimic the MoP log in screen, the ingame version of it. After trying to make that work, the ingame version of the log in location would have required too much retouching work in a time when Project 005 required my full dedication. So it was back to square one. After looking for another suitable location for some time, I finally decided to visit the Temple of the Jade Serpent. The Temple provided an excellent vista that I felt suited the upcoming front page well.

If you've read Project 005 Feature: Iconic Pt 2, you'd know that I wanted the new LWlol.com to open today, the week before MoP launch. Unfortunately that is not going to happen. This new cinematic image was optimized for the new LWlol.com's Hero image box, which is a different dimension from the current one we use for the front page.

As a result of this, a lot of the area of the image currently on the front page needed to be covered to avoid stretching it.

---

Behold, the Wonders of Pandaria!
    BeholdTheWondersOfPandaria.jpg

---

Last Word Merger Commemoration

I went through many mental concepts of this cinematic image. Originally, what I had in mind was an open world location. But that would have been too similar to our Heroic Hagara front page comic, Imagine.

So, I decided to go another route. What I thought about next was to make a Star Warsy movie poster of all the Dragon Soul bosses. Sounded awesome sure but getting the perfect live action shots of each boss would be too time consuming. Possibly even impossible.

After deciding against that, I decided to give Ultraxion a try. It is a cinematic moment when he first appears in the raid and I wanted to capture that in an iconic image. I captured that moment in my first shoot. But making it look really good took a lot of additional work compared to the other cinematic images in this gallery.

The cinematic image is comprised of 7 layers of effects, touch ups, and enhancement of detail on certain parts of the picture to make it awesome.

---

A Shadow which Blots Out the Sun
    [​IMG]

---

4.3: Hour of Twilight

The Dragon Soul set of images continues the tradition started with the Firelands. This set of three images captures the essence of what the Hour of Twilight is really all about.

From the iconic shot of the Madness of Deathwing, to the gloomy shot of Wyrmrest in End Time and finally, a shot of the Maelstrom along with the official website patch quote, Deathwing's demise is captured in full glory.

Behind the scenes:
    "Madness" took about half an hour of positioning the camera over and over again along with and shootings of the movie camera to get the perfect shot.

"Make Peace with your End..." took a unique approach during editing. I created something reminiscent of a technicolor effect. The rocks in the foreground do not have any effects on them because the technicolor effect made the rocks close the camera have a strange white outline on the edge of the rocks. The positioning of the website patch quote was the most iterated upon thing in the entire picture.

"Wyrmrest" was made to be gloomy and desolate. The shot captures both of those perfectly while still having some color from the lava.

---

Madness
    [​IMG]

Make Peace with your End...
    [​IMG]

Wyrmrest
    [​IMG]

---

4.2: Rage of the Firelands

The idea for doing cinematic images for the front page of our guild's website started when I first saw the prototype of what was going to be our new website design (the current one you see now) back in May of 2011.

At the time, I was working on the Vitality Movie Department's openers for both Ragnaros and the general Firelands introductions and credits. The effect I created for the videos was something I call Firelands Coppertone. Firelands Coppertone matched beautifully with our new website design.

So when the new design went live, I decided to celebrate its launch by creating 3 cinematic shots pulled directly from the incomplete VMD videos. Fortunately, I took the footage for these cinematic shots before the [Minizep Controller] was nerfed to the ground. It is now impossible to get the angles I got for these images on a live server (All cinematic images are taken on the official servers).

Behind the Scenes:
    "The Realm of the Firelord Awaits!" was the official cinematic shot of the set. It featured the website patch quote beneath Vitality. The shot itself comes from the Ragnaros opener.

"Sulfuron" is an iconic image closely matching the ingame Firelands loading screen. It comes from the Ragnaros opener.

"Firelands" was created as the album artwork for the Vitality Movie Department's Firelands video set. Like any real album cover, it features the names of the movies in the set along with the main title of the album. Unfortunately, the production value for the Firelands set of videos were too high and none of them ever came out. So this cinematic image is the only hint of what could have happened.

This shot of the Firelands entrance is from the general video opener for bosses other than Ragnaros (Ragnaros got his own unique video opener).

---

The Realm of the Firelord Awaits!
    [​IMG]

Sulfuron
    [​IMG]

Firelands (Also doubled as the cancelled VMD artwork)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Re: The Dragon Soul

Updated with the main splash image of 4.3!

3. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Re: The Dragon Soul

Updated with the final Dragon Soul splash image

4. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Incoming soon.

5. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
  6. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Commentary has been added to all cinematic images that help to give a behind the scenes look into why and how each one was created.

7. Cakezilla

Cakezilla Guild Social

Achievements:
    Very nice images and commentary! :D

Edit- Just saw the new Ultraxion shot. Sick!

8. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Updated.

9. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    There's one coming that will be optimized for the new site.

10. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    tmr

11. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Updated

12. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    I'd like to do one for 5.2 So I'll probably be filming during wipes this lockout to get the perfect larger than life shot.

13. Jak

Jak Guild Social

Achievements:
    Rent update Front Page pics pls <3

14. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Yes I will when I catch up with my other work. I've been busy with preparing for intense interviews

Jak likes this.
  15. Canibehealz

Canibehealz Founder

Achievements:
    [​IMG]

So Jak sent me a selfie today... ^^^^

16. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    You can't necro a stickied thread!

17. Canibehealz

Canibehealz Founder

Achievements:
    Thats not true and you know it.

18. Solar

Solar Guild Social

Achievements:
    Firelands shot totally sick. Need more like that.
    Same with Deathwing whirlpool. Rent, what happened?

19. Canibehealz

Canibehealz Founder

Achievements:
    Same thing that happened to you. Casualitus because of real life.

20. Solar

Solar Guild Social

Achievements:
    I ain't casual. If anything I bumped it up to the next level. Soon, encounter design.
    My item level is in my heart, son.

Canibehealz likes this.