Steams Page Modernization

Discussion in 'News' started by rent, May 8, 2015.

1. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    I'd like to modernize the offerings on LWlol's Streams page to create a more useful experience. One of my goals is to actually trim down on the channels on the Streams page. I think there are too many. I want to work with you guys on this with two caveats:
    • Let's keep channels limited to streamers who are active, please
    • Let's not go overboard on channels, so let's not get too obscure
    Please tell me what channels you watch, and how important that streamer is to you

Channels - Work in Progress

Last Word

AutomaticJak
    Big Nash Gaming
    Abbador
    Canibehealz
    Unholysin
    Omniwrath

Featured
    http://www.twitch.tv/FinalBossTV

Skullflower
    7Alinity
    8Affinitii ????
    10Hotie
    1Kuznam ??????
    2Leeds?????
    3Openraid
    4Riggnaros
    5Sco
    6Slootbag
    7Towelliee???
    9Treckie
    1Cdew
    2Hotted?? Note: Bugged chat
    5Nmp
    7Reckful
    9Sodapoppin
    30Swifty
    1Tease
    4Venruki
    6Athene
    8Kripparian
    9Kungen

Twintopsoft

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. Jak

Jak Guild Social

Achievements:
    I feel like everyone knows the "big" streamers, where to find them and all of that. Maybe focusing on specific wow streamers that are theorycrafters or just extremely proficient at their classes. Skullflower the founder of Summonstone.com comes to mind as a small streamer that could be on the list.

Also is there a way to have a specific icon for LW members when they're online? So people visiting could see a specific light or icon next to Live LW Streams?

Omniwrath and Canibehealz like this.
  3. Omniwrath

Omniwrath Guild Social

Achievements:
    @rent

I have a few questions if you don't mind sharing.

What is your vision for the stream page?
    • Is it intended funnel forum goers to LW community streamers?
    • Is it intended to funnel forum goers to content that other LW community members find interesting?
    • Is it intended to be a curated list of streams that would actually draw traffic to the website?
    Do you have any usage statistics for the stream page?

For me personally, I have browsed the stream page on rare occasion, but it was mostly out of curiosity, or if I was looking for a specific LW community member so I could follow them.

Also, for what it's worth, I haven't been streaming much lately because of school. A lot of my classes are only offered at night, but I'm in my last quarter now. When I finish I will be making an honest go at full time streaming. I've had times in the past where I averaged 100+ concurrent viewers daily (peaking at ~700 concurrent viewers), but school has always gotten in the way. I seriously considered dropping out to stream full time on several occasions. Newho, feel free to leave me on the list if you like, or remove me. I won't be offended either way. <3

4. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Traffic for the Streams page averages around 180-200 people per month. The most busiest month of 2015 so far has been March, 250 visitors to the Streams page.

Design goals for the Streams page:
    • Promote LWlol community member streams
    • Add another layer of consumable content for regulars
    • Keeps it simple and focused using curation
    • Convenience factor, everything is on one page. Unique design help to drive traffic to the site
    • Interesting even when community streamers are not live by including some big names. This is important for our persona, below:
    Who is this designed for?
    • Casual viewer
    • Kind of person that can't be bothered looking for people on Twitch
    • Someone who doesn't have a Twitch account, and can't favorite streamers
    • Someone who wants to watch Last Word raid live, or to get a feel for some of the members
    The Streams page is not designed for active streamers or even hardcore users. The Streams page is more for the beginner level and casual viewer. Hardcores will prefer the full functionality of Twitch.

I'd like to further emphasize Last Word members. I'm going to be getting rid of the specific game the streamer plays since its wrong most of the time. Instead that line will be only be used for LW members, and will have more useful information... class and guild tag

Omniwrath, Canibehealz and Jak like this.
  5. Jak

Jak Guild Social

Achievements:
    Maybe a way to include LW raid times on the Streams page itself, as it could be one of the first looks a potential applicant may have at us and a light or something during those times so that a user can look for a LW streamer. Updating guild tags (I'm no longer a rogue for instance) and that sort of thing would be great, and I agree with removing the game, people are trying to diversify a lot these days.

6. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Yes. A new now showing poster with raid times. That and I think a last word specific section in the directory will do the trick.

Canibehealz likes this.
  7. Unholysin

Unholysin Guild Social

Achievements:
  8. Jeathe

Jeathe Raider

Achievements:
    I agree with these. For what it's worth I looked at the stream page before I app'd and watched Jak's stream for several pulls on Imp and Oregorger. Thought it was great to get a sense of the raiding atmosphere before apping.

Omniwrath likes this.
  9. Abbador

Abbador Emeritus

Achievements:
    im gonna be back up 100% durring raid and anything wow related on weekend

Omniwrath likes this.
  10. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    To be included in the Streams Update:

• Streamer categories simplified to two: Last Word and Featured
    • A new Raid time poster in the NOW SHOWING box
    • A new Now Showing poster for the Featured section
    • Streams page key color is will be Twitch purple to minimize clash of colors
    • Many "reserved" spots removed
    • Better curated list of Featured streamers

11. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    Jak and I are working on focusing the Featured section of the Streams page The goal of course is to curate a collection of streamers that will create a unique LWlol Streams page experience.

While that's happening, if you're:
    • AutomaticJak
    • Big Nash Gaming
    • Abbador
    • Canibehealz
    • Unholysin
    • Omniwrath
    You can add a poster advertising your stream to the NOW SHOWING box. Use these guidelines to create your poster:

MUST be 810x1,221 pixels
    Optionally include Time/Days you stream
    If you include type, please have decent typography. Your type will need to harmonize with the rest of the Streams page. Please no art deco fonts.

12. Canibehealz

Canibehealz Founder

Achievements:
  13. Omniwrath

Omniwrath Guild Social

Achievements:
    How will the custom graphic be used?

14. rent

rent Guild Master

Achievements:
    In the Now Showing box slider. Click the hide button and you'll see it