Accepted Mojonox, Arcane Mage

Discussion in 'Archive' started by mojo, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mojo

mojo Raider

Achievements:
    Section 1: Character
    1. Character name: Mojonox
    2. Realm: Ner'zhul
    3. Primary spec and class: Arcane Mage
    4. Battle tag: mojo#1239
    5. Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/nerzhul/Mojonox/advanced
    6. Epeen Bot link: http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/ner'zhul/mojonox/
    7. Parse link: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/168613/

Section 2: Real Life
    1. Real first name: Morgan
    2. Gender: Female
    3. Age: 19
    4. Country/State: New York
    5. How long have you been playing World of Warcraft?: ~4 Years
    6. Tell us a little bit about yourself: I'm currently living at home with my family until next semester starts. We've three cats and a dog, but I'm pretty sure I'm a dog person. I spend a lot of my time doodling or drawing or painting things for other people. Longboarding is also pretty cool.

All in all, I'd say I'm usually pretty laid back. I love getting the chance to chat with people about all kinds of stuff!
    7. Upcoming circumstances that can prevent you from raiding: Main issue currently would be the cross-country road trip I'm going to be taking in two weeks. I'll be gone for just about two months and chances are I probably won't be able to log regularly.

Section 3: Computer
    1. How old is your computer?: ~2 Years
    2. Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M x2
    3. Amount of memory (RAM): 12GB

Section 4: Short Response
    1. Why did you choose Last Word?: It only seemed right after Abbador's horrible shaman forced everyone in Server Last to unsub.

2. Reason(s) for leaving your previous guild: There was a general loss of interest as far as playing the game goes with most of our raid group, and

3. What specs/classes have you raided as in the past?: I've played as both Fire and Frost in the past, the latter moreso. I haven't done anything more intensive than some normal pugs on my Resto Shaman.

4. Favorite title you've earned on the character you're applying to raid with: Mojonox the Fearless.

5. What was your most memorable moment in World of Warcraft so far?: That one time I put up an Ancient Dalaran portal on top of the portal to Bladefist Bay after Sha of Pride always comes to mind. Probably because it's so recent. Everybody else in the raid went and took it.

6. What goals do you wish to achieve in World of Warcraft? Which goals have you already accomplished?: From what I can see and from what I've heard, Last Word has a really incredible sense of community and friendliness. Getting to talk to, interact with, and raid alongside some really cool people is something I'm always up to do, and you guys have plenty to offer in that department.

7. Fill out the template. Include content you've cleared only while it was current: TIER 16: Heroic Siege of Orgrimmar 8/14
    TIER 15: Heroic Throne of Thunder 0/13
    TIER 14: Heroic Mogu’shan Vaults 0/6, Heroic Heart of Fear 0/6, Heroic Terrace of Endless Spring 0/4, Normal Mode 0/16,
    CATACLYSM: Heroic Dragon Soul 0/8, Heroic Firelands 0/7, Heroic Throne of the Four Winds 0/2, Heroic Bastion of Twilight 0/5, Heroic Blackwing Descent 0/6,
    WRATH OF THE LICH KING: Heroic Lich King 0/1, Tribute to Insanity N,
    FEATS OF STRENGTH: ~

Section 5: Theorycrafting
    1. Explain your priority or rotation: While standing in Rune of Power, apply whichever mage bomb I have active. Arcane Blast to four charges, spend Arcane Missiles, consume charges with Barrage. The T16 set bonus allow for another Arcane Blast after spending two stacks of Arcane Missiles, as well as gives a chance to not consume Arcane Missile stacks. Thanks to this, I can effectively remain at four charges for an extended amount of time switching between Arcane Blast and Missiles until all stacks are consumed. Recast Rune of Power and refresh bombs when necessary.

2. Haste, Critical, or Mastery? Choose one and explain why: Mastery. More mastery means my spells are hitting a lot harder based on the mana I have unspent. I generally try to stay above 75% unspent, and will pop a mana gem if i go far below this. Arcane's mastery has the potential to more than double the power of spells when it's high enough.

3. Is there anything questionable about your gear or reforging decisions? If so, explain here. Otherwise, leave blank: If I can recall, on at least one of my pieces I have haste reforged to mastery rather than critical to mastery. This is gives a decent amount mastery at a very minimal haste cost.

Section 6: Interface and Binds
    1. What do you have Q, W, E, A, S and D bound to?: Q: Ice Floes W: Move Forward E: Mirror Images A: Strafe Left S: Potion of Jade Serpent D: Strafe Right

2. Upload a screenshot of your user interface: Linked at the bottom of the application

3. If your keybindings are not shown in the screenshot you provided in question 2, please show them here. Leave blank otherwise:

Section 7: Statistics
    1. How did you learn about us?: Notorious on the server, as well as the number of alts raiding with Server Last.
    2. Besides filling the application out, what did you least like about our application experience?: I cried quietly the whole time I filled it out. Sorry.
    3. Which LWlol.com webpage did you like most?: The Home Page is incredibly eyecatching, it looks super nice and made me want to explore the rest of the site. The application splash page was really nice as well.

Attached Files:

• ey.jpg
      ey.jpg
      File size:
      716.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Dan

Dan Founder

Achievements:
    Not surprised.

Solar, Honeypants and Canibehealz like this.
  3. Abbador

Abbador Emeritus

Achievements:
  4. Akky

Akky Senior Member

Achievements:
    Is this the mage that put the portal up in that 10man that me and abba went to? If so you have my vote, shit got me good lol

5. mojo

mojo Raider

Achievements:
    yeah, that was me

it was so worth it

6. Tinderhoof

Tinderhoof Guild Social

Achievements:
    Hey Abba, when is your shaman going to join Incarnate?

Solar likes this.
  7. Cakezilla

Cakezilla Guild Social

Achievements:
    Hey, thanks for apping. The app itself is very well written and was obviously put together with a lot of thought. Kudos for that.

Rotation is sound including t16 set bonus consideration, reforging strategy looks good overall. I appreciate the fact that you use Ice Floes since a lot of lazy Arcane Mages (self included) would just run Blazing Speed. Arcane has a lot of micro to deal with that most non-Mages probably won't appreciate and Ice Floes is definitely adds complexity.

Couple of mechanics questions:

- Do you reforge to hit certain haste breakpoints for bombs?
    - When do you utilize LB, NT, and FrB?
    - Do you do any trinket micro/tricks? I see you track trinket ICDs so that's a very good sign.
    - Are you comfortable playing Fire or Frost if the situation dictates? I know you have history with both but you'd be surprised at how many Mages are adamant in their lack of willingness to adapt to fights.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  8. mojo

mojo Raider

Achievements:
    Hehe. Thank you. Ice Floes is a godsend once you get used to using it so often. Moving around is pretty much the worst thing ever. The other talents of that tier just plain don't compare. Especially PoM and it's horrible disgustingly terribly long cooldown.

- Currently, I'm about 400 points under the 9244 cap for an extra tick on Nether Tempest while buffed. I feel it isn't worth the loss of mastery or intellect I'd get from regemming or reforging, especially since pretty much any upgrade from the gear I currently have would likely put me over. I also feel it might not be worth it to chase for the next lowest cap, since, while that would give me more mastery and crit (about 1% and 4%, respectively), it would also affect the mana regen that's fairly important to Arcane.

- I switch between Living Bomb and Nether Tempest for most fights, with the general rule of thumb being if there's lots of cleave to be happening, it'll probably be NT. Protectors, Norushen, Galakras, Spoils, and Garrosh are the encounters I've found it to be most effective on, and everything else I've been using LB. I'm open to suggestions if you've found that anything else works better or is more efficient.

- Yes; I track buff durations and stacks when applicable as well. If I know it'll be a harder hitting bomb than the one I currently have active, I'll refresh. Delaying Alter Time by a few or more casts to make sure I have a nice little bundle of buffs and charges isn't beneath me, though this isn't always the case and they'll generally all line up very nicely.

- I can switch to and play either or, though I'm a lot more comfortable playing the latter, since I have relatively little experience playing Fire at max level, and I used Frost for such a long time below 560 item level.

9. Cakezilla

Cakezilla Guild Social

Achievements:
    Thanks for the reply. Fantastic answers, exactly what I wanted to see explained. It sounds like you have a very good understanding of the deeper Mage mechanics & reforging strategies.

Regarding your bomb question - I think our Nazgrim strategy would benefit a lot from NT cleave (we stack adds up near the boss) but other than that, I would use the same bombs you would if I were Arcane.

All in all, everything looks good!

10. Cakezilla

Cakezilla Guild Social

Achievements:
    I checked through some of your logs and noticed that your RoP and sometimes Bomb uptimes were on the low-ish side (high 80s, low 90s). I see from your UI that you have tracking for both so that's good but I would work on those two things a bit if you're looking for some areas of improvement. Not a huge deal but just something I noticed.

11. mojo

mojo Raider

Achievements:
    I'm aware of the problem I have with keeping bombs on certain fights, and I'll do my best to fix it however and wherever I can.

As far as Rune of Power uptime goes, placement has a heck of a lot to do with it. This is somewhere Rune of Power kind of has a lot of weakness that makes it such an inefficient talent. A few examples of this problem can be found in fights where I'm moving a lot in a short amount of time and placing and standing in a RoP would be impractical; Fights like Sha (moving out for Bursting Pride or closing a rift), Iron Juggernaut (getting knocked back), Thok (during Blood Frenzy, placing a Rune to stand in while running away from a hungry dino doesn't seem too terribly smart), Siegecrafter (staying in within the two Runes I have preplaced during the whole Overloaded Magnet bit is something I'll be working on now, since each push/pull moves me slightly out of either one of them) and Garrosh (during temple intermissions, running along to the next group of adds or to the boss, placing runes along the way would be a waste of time and Ice Floes charges).

If there is anywhere you can see it's possible to efficiently place a Rune during these times or if you have any suggestions on how I can minimize movement during an encounter more than I already have or know anyone I could talk to and bounce ideas off of about it, I'd love to hear about them!

12. Cakezilla

Cakezilla Guild Social

Achievements:
    Yea, that was one of the biggest gripes about minor movement and Arcane for me. Luckily when I played Arcane in MSV/HoF/ToES tier, there wasn't too much movement but we also had about half the radius to work with.

One great idea I read was macroing Floes along with RoP. That way, anytime you're forced to move, you can cast RoP on the move to your destination so when you start casting actual nukes, your RoP is already setup and ready to go.

For micro-movement (like Sha bursting pride, I'll setup 2 RoPs on the pull that just barely overlap. This gives me double the range. I might re-setup that mid-fight if there's a lot of lateral movement that pulls me out of RoP. Also, I hang out on the very edge of the RoP so I can move to the other side in case I need to move out of an AoE attack. Worked really well on Sha of Fear in ToES and I would just step from one end of the 5yd circle to the other to avoid the missiles.

For knockbacks like IJ, if you time your Blink correctly, you shouldn't move too much. Just Blink as you're getting knocked back and it should put you right where you were. If you run 2x Blink, you can Blink/Block/Blink for all 3 knockbacks. There's also a spot on IJ's ass where you can just get knocked back right into the rock wall behind him. Sometimes I just put my back to that and not worry about movement at all.

Good to know you're thinking about maximizing little things like RoP! Attention to the small details are what makes or breaks a great Mage. :) Thanks for your reply!