Denied inthemist, Shadow priest

Discussion in 'Archive' started by inthemist, Jul 6, 2015.

1. inthemist

inthemist New Member

Achievements:
    Section 1: Character
    1. Character name: inthemist
    2. Realm: Ragnaros
    3. Primary spec and class: Shadow priest
    4. Battle tag: inthemistr#1959
    5. Armory link: us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Inthemist/simple
    6. Warcraft Logs character rankings: I haven't ranked recently, my gear is lowish.
    7. Parse link: Well I haven't recorded my logs, I do have some logs but some on them are meh since they sometimes come from normal, or learning the fight. Will post my more decent ones: nTyrant: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2bxHKFPyD9a3zgtw#fight=14&type=damage-done nSocrethar: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2bxHKFPyD9a3zgtw#fight=7&type=damage-done nIron reaver. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2bxHKFPyD9a3zgtw#fight=2&type=damage-done h kormok: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ZPwW3AX2QdqcGxCH#fight=20&type=damage-done heroic gorefiend: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/ZPwW3AX2QdqcGxCH#fight=38&type=damage-done n Mannoroth (had a wipe on 7% where I was doing 53k dps, on this on I died to a fear that no one soaked and Dispersion was on cd) https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CxrdBhNnZJR7yM9T#fight=3&type=damage-done Again, nothing impressive but if you compare them with people around the same item level I did pretty well. Also I focus 100% on the mechanics and never try to avoid mechanics in order to increase my dps.

Section 2: Real Life
    1. Real first name: Otto
    2. Gender: Male
    3. Age: 22
    4. Country/State: Costa Rica
    5. How long have you been playing World of Warcraft?: 8 years.
    6. Tell us a little bit about yourself: I currently study physics and started computer science last year, love being an student and I'm pretty scared of serious work hehe although I have alredy had part time jobs in the university mostly as an assistant in investigations. Love raiding in wow and in general stuff that take some sort of planning or making strategies.
    7. Upcoming circumstances that can prevent you from raiding: Your schedule works really nice for me. If I have to miss a raid it would have to be because of studies but I usually plan exams and homeworks ahead of time .

Section 3: Computer
    1. How old is your computer?: 1 year old
    2. Video card: AMD Radean R9 200 series
    3. Amount of memory (RAM): 8

Section 4: Short Response
    1. Why did you choose Last Word?: Well I have been in ragnaros all of this expansion, I started here because I had some friends that were going to play the expansion as well (most of them quit quite early tho) and have been stuck in progression ever since. Shadowpriest don't have much demand and the top guilds in my server have alredy had a shadowpriest for a long time so I haven't even have a chance to trial with them. Now i'm seriously enjoying this tier and would love to step up and actually do mythic progress. Your progress is what I'm looking for and schedule is perfect for me.

2. Reason(s) for leaving your previous guild: We raid on a schedule that it's not too good for me, we raid 5 days a week and our progress isn't good.

3. What specs/classes have you raided as in the past?: Hunter (all specs), Warlock (all specs) Shaman enhacement.

4. Favorite title you've earned on the character you're applying to raid with: Of the Nightfall.

5. What was your most memorable moment in World of Warcraft so far?: Have had lots of memorable times, lets say my top would be:

Rhok'delar quest chain in vainilla (Hunter quest)
    Stealthing into Gilneas (rogue quest)
    Archimonde kill with affli warlock
    Night Elf starting zone for the first time
    Leveling in WoD
    Maloriakk kill as a demo warlock
    Rogue feint soaking (first boss in DS heroic)
    Blackfuse as a hunter (on assembly line)
    Brackenspore as shadowpriest (on flamethrower duty)

6. What goals do you wish to achieve in World of Warcraft? Which goals have you already accomplished?: Killing the last boss of a tier before it is extremely nerfed has been one of my biggest goals but I haven't been in a decent server for a long time.

7. Fill out the template. Include content you've cleared only while it was current: WARLORDS OF DRAENOR
    TIER 17: Mythic Highmaul 6/7, Heroic Blackrock Foundry 10/10, Or if you have mythic experience already, switch heroic to mythic

MISTS OF PANDARIA
    Mythic Siege of Orgrimmar 14/14, Heroic Throne of Thunder 2/13, Heroic Mogu’shan Vaults 0/6, Heroic Heart of Fear 0/6, Heroic Terrace of Endless Spring 0/4

CATACLYSM
    Heroic Dragon Soul 3/8, Heroic Firelands 5/7, Heroic Throne of the Four Winds 0/2, Heroic Bastion of Twilight 2/5, Heroic Blackwing Descent 5/6

WRATH OF THE LICH KING
    Heroic Lich King 0/1, Tribute to Insanity: No

Section 5: Theorycrafting
    1. Explain your priority or rotation: Wall of text incomming.

In general shadowpriests want to generate as much orbs as possible, this means using mindblast on CD, and shadow word: death on cd as well (when sub 20%). This means it's really important to try to snipe adds with swd for good burst and more orb generating. Shadowpriests aren't really mobile but we still have some instants we can cast on the move (shadow word pain if there are any valid targets, mind blast if playing CoP, SWD on execute, power word shield, cascade and shadowfiend). Since you can cast SWD twice each 8 seconds, our execute phase is really mobile and bursty would even dare to say we are the best class once the boss hits 20%.

We use twist of fate for every figh, that is a talent that makes us do 15% more damage for 10 secs after hitting a target that is sub 35% hp. That plus our ability to use SWD sub 20% means we shadowpriests take a lot of advange of fights were there are adds constantly dying like on gorefiend or kilrogg.

We shadowpriests have 2 styles of gameplay depending on what level 100 talent we chose it can almost be considered as 2 different specs since the playstyle is pretty different. I will explain both of them:

Clarity of Power (CoP) :

This is considered our single target spec, have good mobility good on demand burst and aoe. But REALLY bad cleave and multtidotting.

Clarity of power reduces the cd of our mindblast(hard hitting ability and orb generator) by 3 secs and makes mind spike(filler) mind sear (aoe) and SW:D (execute) hit harder while our target has no dots. The rotation that most optimizes your dps while using this talent is called Shadow weaving, which consists of 2 phases:

Phase 1: You generate orbs, here you only cast mind blasts on coldowns and fillers (mind spike, PW:shield, cascade, shadowfiend). You don't dot your target.

Phase 2: You dot your target and spend shadow orbs, not going into much detail here, since it's a really specific rotation but can provide more info if wanted. Basically you have to spend shadow orbs, use mind blast on cd and channel mind flay:insanity for as long as you can without delaying mind blast, you usually want 6 ticks of mind flay between mindblast.

As you can see, you don't have much advantage from multidotting while using this spec, but your on demand burst is good since you can save orbs a nuke an important target with devouring plague, mind blast, insanity and SWD. Also if you know aoe are comming in advance, you save orbs so you can have mind sear. available. This works for fights like kormok (hands) .

Currently CoP is used for:

Hellfire Assault: Periods of sustained aoe for which we usually have orbs. Also the fight have 2 that must be nuked (tanks and warlocks when meta).

Iron Reaver: mostly single target fight with lots of movement, also have targets that must be burned (bombs).

Kormok: Mostly single target fight with burst aoe needed (hands).

Kilrogg: Motly single target fight with adds that need to be burned down (bloods and bloodthirsters)

Gorefiend: Mostly single target fight with adds that need to be burned down (spirits and follow people, and spirits that cast aoe)

Socrethar: Mostly single target with add that need to be wtfburned down (dominator)

Iskar: Mostly single target fight with adds that need to be burned down, but could be played with AS since adds live long enough depends on how fast you want a single add down or how fast you want to take the 3 of them out.

Fel Lord: single target fight.

Tyrant: We have some adds that we would multidot but damage on them isn't the priority, damage on her while on phase 2 is the priority thus CoP is preferred.

Auspicious Spirits (AS):

This is considered our multidotting/cleave spec. This spec suffers heavily from movement and from single target.

This talents makes our Shadowy Apparitions (we create shadow apparitions when we crit with shadow word pain) deal double damage and generate a shadow orb.This means we will be generating a LOT of orbs making us GCD starved some of times specially when we have a lot of targets, so it's almost mandatory to play with a shadow apparition tracker so you can act in advance before you have more orbs that you can spend.

This rotation consists of spending orbs ASAP, using mind blast/SW:D on cd and having all targets dotted with shadow word:pain, if possible we use vampiric touch but it isn't much of a priority, once everything is dotted and everything is on coldown we use mind flay as a filler or mind spike (if we get procs from surge of darkness) it's important to note that on some fights we won't even have time for using this fillers.

AS is used for the next fights:

Hellfire Council: 3 permanent adds we can dot, also more adds during the mirror image ability of the blademaster.

Mannoroth: infernals that survive some time usually spawn.

Archimonde: lots of adds that take some time to down spawn constantly.

Xhul' Horac: big adds spawning (phase 1 and 2) and shadowy thingies spawning in phase 2 and 3 that survive enough for swp to tick for full duration. One of our best fights.

Iskar: explained above.

2. Versatility, Multistrike, Haste, Critical, OR Mastery? Choose one and explain why: Critical is best for AS but still good for CoP, haste is best for CoP. As I explained the hardest fights are played as AS so I gear/enchant mostly for AS.

3. Is there anything you think we may question about your gear, gem or enchant decisions? If so, explain here. Otherwise, leave blank: See above.

Section 6: Interface and Binds
    1. What do you have Q, W, E, A, S and D bound to?: Q: power word:shield (you sometimes spec into body and soul, and still helpful for reducing damage and boosting your own)

W: move forward

E: Devouring plague (really important part of your rotation and E is really easy to acces.

A: strafe left

S: move back (for when u only have to move a little bit our of a aoe)

D:strafe right

2. Upload a screenshot of your user interface: File upaloded.

3. If your keybindings are not shown in the screenshot you provided in question 2, please show them here. Leave blank otherwise: Everything should be clear, enchanting is binded to V right now but that's usually a trinket keybind (not using any on use trinket atm).

Section 7: Statistics
    1. How did you learn about us?: Through wowprogress.
    2. Besides filling the application out, what did you least like about our application experience?: Keybindings sections is tedious but I see how it's mega useful for you guys.
    3. Which LWlol.com webpage did you like most?: Streams page is just awesome, really nice sorting.

Attached Files: